June is National Men’s Health Month - an opportunity to encourage awareness and conversations about men’s health issues.
Men are less likely to seek healthcare than women and as a result they often experience health issues that go unnoticed or neglected. This may stem from an expectation for men to be strong and not show signs of weakness, which for some may develop into a belief that going to the doctor or practicing self-care is weak. However, attention to your mental, emotional and physical health is actually a powerful tool toward a stronger, healthier you. Men’s health issues deserve attention and men should be encouraged to continue seeking health care.
Celebrate Men’s Health Month this June by:
- Wearing BLUE to help spread the word!
- Establishing habits of good sleep hygiene.
- Staying active by scheduling exercise and activities you enjoy.
- Scheduling yearly checkups with your doctor and keeping these appointments.
For many men, sleep is at the bottom of their list of daily priorities and some view sleep as time wasted. These false impressions can keep men from benefitting from the many advantages of a well-rested mind and body. If not getting enough sleep is a regular part of your routine, your overall health will suffer in a variety of ways.
Short and long-term effects of sleep deprivation:
- Higher blood pressure - getting less than 5 hours of sleep a night can increase your risk of high blood pressure.
- Weight gain - when you’re sleep deprived the chemicals that signal to your brain that you’re full are off balance making it more likely that you’ll overeat.
- Weakened immunity - too little sleep can weaken your immune system’s defenses against viruses making you more likely to get sick.
- Mood changes - chronic sleep deprivation can affect your mood and lead to anxiety and depression.
- Focus issues - concentration, creativity and problem-solving skills can suffer when you don’t get enough sleep
Along with exercise and nutrition, sleep is one of the pillars of health. The more you invest in your sleep, the greater the return you will see in all other aspects of your life. Sleep is a time when your body is actively recharging itself and preparing for the next day. Quality sleep enables you to feel, think, and perform better and essentially maximize your time and your energy during the day - all of which men need to take on the daily demands of family, work, friends, hobbies, and other obligations.
Quality sleep begins with a healthy sleep environment, including the right pillow for your sleep needs. The Big Daddy by JUVEA pillow bolsters 7 pounds of 100% natural Talalay latex in an over-stuffed King size pillow providing excellent support for all back and side sleepers. Due to its high supportive loft, The Big Daddy is ideal for men - who typically are larger or broad shouldered sleepers - because of its ability to keep your head and neck properly aligned. The type of support needed to get a full night of quality rest and assist you in fulfilling those pillars of health.
Take stock of your health this June and set small, attainable goals. Consider this permission to play a game of golf and then go to bed early - if anyone asks what the special occasion is? Its Men’s Health Month!